[Dailydrool] She keeps trying

sally king sally.king at nqe.com
Thu Jul 16 02:03:51 PDT 2009

After Clara's recent attempts to join the OEBE, I was surprised, while upstairs, to hear her crying in that pathetic "I want it badly, but can't get it" way.
The cause of her distress? I had moved all the chairs away from the table and she couldn't get on it to check for possible crumbs.

Rolph, however, believes actions speak louder than whines.
In the past couple of days he has snaffled 1/2 a packet of plain chocolate digestives (following the ensuing tug of war, he managed to swallow about half of those, I grabbed most of the others, and Clara whipped up the resulting spillage).
He also made two effective grabs at duck carcasses kindly taken to the kitchen by non basset-owning guests (another tussle, this time resulting in my finger getting between Rolph's teeth and the bird he was desperately trying not to give up). And he has developed a passion for tea, so whenever you sit down for a cuppa, you have to hang on to your mug, or he will find a way to drain it for you.
But then, what is tea without basset slobber and hair?

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK