[Dailydrool] Travel and old bassets

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 16 08:01:18 PDT 2009

Our first two bassets, Sassy and Daisy were very well traveled girls.  They lived overseas twice, in the UK and in Germany and traveled to several states in between.

On the theme of having an old basset around, I would second that they are great, at least most of the time.  When we got Sunny, she was young but acted like an old girl.  She was grouchy the whole time and got grouchier but it was part of her charm.  She loved to play if it was rough.  She would chase the boys and grab onto their pant legs.  I don't know how many holes we had at the bottom of jean legs because of her.  She also loved to play tug-of-war.  She was fierce when she played.  It helped her let out some of that agression, I guess.  I think Sunny hurt so much as an old girl with her arthritis and then the heart murmur too that she had trouble being anything but grouchy.

Shelby, on the other had, is a complete joy.  Her person died some time last year and she ended up in rescue.  We took her with a lot of trepidation after having such a hard time with the old grouch.  Shelby is a marvel.  I'm pretty sure she had lived with the same family her whole life.  To be 13 and lose your person must be awful.  Then to go stay with strangers must have been worse.  Then she came to stay with us.  Imagine being a very short-even for a basset-and coming into a house with three other bassets all girls at that.  She didn't even bat an eye.  Shelby came in, went outside to check out the yard, came back in, found a donut and went right to sleep.

Shelbs doesn't care what the other girls say or do.  She does her own thing.  She bellows to go out and rarely makes it off the patio.  She bellows when she thinks her dinner is late, but it is a good natured bellow.  She runs occasionally and has a playful side.  She does not like playing tug-of-war.  We found out that she hates the ropes and tells them off it they get too close.  She loves to sleep whether in a donut, over an air conditioning vent or in bed with the boyslave.  She loves to eat.  She loves her treats and we have the sore fingers to prove it.  And she loves to go out in the front yard and sniff every rock, blade of grass and every stick she can find.  Shelby is the happiest girl I have ever known.  There is not a crabby bone in her body.  She loves everyone.  She should be the poster girls for seniors.  She is absolutely perfect.  I'm so glad she came to live here and seems to be going strong and 13-14 years old.

Would I take in another old basset?  In a heartbeat.  They are the bomb.

We are sending drool to all those in need.

Ninja, Marley, Maggie, Shelby(I am magnificent aren't I?) and the kitties with the mom