[Dailydrool] Elder Hounds ----I just have to say

Phil Guinn guinnirish at cox.net
Fri Jul 17 10:23:44 PDT 2009

Well said Wendie and thank you for bringing up the subject.

We at Ozark Mountain Basset Rescue are struggling with just the problems you pointed out. We have been completely over ran with request for relinquishments and by shelters calling with basset hounds found in houses and in backyards abandoned by the owners when they moved. It absolutely makes me sick at the number of times a week now I have to say, "No room in the inn," as the Intake Coordinator, a position I recently relieved Sherry Faulkner of so she could maintain her sanity (another story-snicker). I promise you we go to bed at night and can't sleep for remembering the hounds we COULD NOT SAVE that day and days past.

The only way OMBR can take in a senior now is if we know one of the few basset hound senior homes out there, like Wendi and Marilyn run, have an opening (those involved are now laughing) or if I had a foster home that realized the senior would be there a long time before adoption and probably permanent and would still foster another basset hound.  We are so grossly short of foster homes now for the young and healthy we are only saving maybe 20% of those needing help. Now that is sad and really hard to take on a daily basis.

We all need foster homes.  Most of these babies are of little trouble and they are so grateful to have a warm/cool bed, regular food and love that it is worth the costs and effort to share their lives until they get a good forever homes.  Please consider fostering and save some basset hounds lives. We all need you!

Phil Guinn
Ozark Mountain Basset Rescue, Inc.
Founder/CFO