[Dailydrool] Elder Hounds ----I just have to say

Wendie L Prince houndsabound at att.net
Thu Jul 16 18:05:10 PDT 2009

There have been several posts about the older hounds, our beloved senior Bassets.  We have taken in 3 this past week and now have 17 here at Senior Houndsabound.  I know Marilyn at House of Puddles is busting at the seams also.  As are any rescues that takes in senior Bassets.  For every county in your state, there is an Animal Services which is also over loaded with dogs of all kinds and all ages. The economic climate we are in has been hard on tens of thousands of pets.  When a senior dog, ends up at animal control,  the odds of that dog even getting to any rescue is slim.   Legally, animal control/services can put down an owner surrendered animal as soon as they are taken in.  The old strays have a better chance since they have to be on stray hold for a certain time.
 For a rescue to be able to pull dogs,  they have to get others already in their care adopted out.  The seniors always are in care the longest, with many being forever fosters of the rescue.  Foster homes are ALWAYS limited and each foster home is GOLD!  Foster homes are the backbone of rescue, IMO.  If you cannot adopt a senior,  offer your home for foster care,  help your Basset rescue help all of them.
It is a bad time out there, people who never would ever think they would have to turn in their pets are doing just that.  I thank Dawg everyday that I have what I have.   My belief is if I want to keep it,  I have to give back.
 Think about it,  and try to give back,  some way,  some how.  My personal request to you is adopt a senior!  Give some of your love to an old one and you will wonder why you waited so long!

arooooos from wen and the Bounders
www.seniorhoundsabound.org