[Dailydrool] Elder Hounds Thanks Deb

Chris Bly jbly1 at kc.rr.com
Thu Jul 16 07:52:05 PDT 2009

Thank you Deb for posting about how the older hounds are such a joy. We at Western Missouri Basset Rescue have several and we figure we will have them till they go to the bridge because no one wants the older ones. Some people feel they may have too many health problems pop up and they may only live a short while, no one wants to go through the pain of watching them get ill and pass. But we do it every day, we had three pass last year. We also have the greatest joy in knowing that these lovely elders are living the end of their lives in comfort with plenty of food, good medical care, and a clean warm place to lie their heads. The only regret we have is that we cannot give them the individualized attention they deserve. With so many in one home we try to stretch our belly rubs and pats in the head and ear scratchin around but it is not what they deserve. If anyone feels they can open their hearts and home to an elder Hound please do!! Elders are no trouble they are past all of the mischief and chewing, mine do not even get on the furniture any more they love their dog beds on the floor because they do not have to jump off of them and hurt their achy joints, they are truly a pleasure to own. Call or email your local rescue and take an elder hound and give them the attention they deserve. If you live near Kansas City Missouri we have Tinkerbell, Jo Jo, Daisey, Brutus, Tillie, Rudy, Vinnie. You can see them at wmbri.org