[Dailydrool] California Natural, Laurie

Muriel Fiona Napier allears at rogers.com
Fri Jul 17 12:41:05 PDT 2009

".I began very slowly last Saturday. It took five days for both of them to
drive me around the bend with licking, scratching, biting, flapping and
being generally miserable. This occured on California Natural Lamb and Rice.
There goes."

Interestingly, I had exactly the same experience with this food. When
Canidae changed their formula last year, I switched Bertie to the California
Natural Lamb and Rice, preferring him to be on the "Limited Ingredient" type
of diet because of major allergy issues that seem to be in his bloodline.
Disaster! . skin issues (make that a capital S) soon became evident . he was
not a happy Basset. And given the ingredients listed on the CN bag, there
shouldn't have been any problems; Bertie had been on the Canidae Lamb and
Rice for about two years before they changed it, so I'm almost certain it
wasn't the lamb. There had to be *something* in the California Natural that
was causing a real allergic reaction.

Long story shortened . I became virtually cross-eyed reading ingredient
lists of most major dry dog foods, but could never identify one item that
could conceivably be the culprit. In the end, the Natural Balance Duck and
Potato seemed to have the simplest formulation, with fewest ingredients. So
that is what I settled on (for both Bonnie and Bertie) and have seen no
problems since.

As far as dog food prices here in Canada are concerned, I echo Laurie's
lament. Believe me, they are absolutely ludicrous compared to the same
food's cost in the US. Free trade? Ha!

Muriel Fiona Napier

t: 519.362.1275

pui me amat, amat et canems meum