[Dailydrool] Oldies club

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 18 01:32:04 PDT 2009

Like most droolers, I suspect, reading of all the needy seniors makes me very sad. How often I think 'if I lived in the US I'd take that dog', but I don't and to be honest, it's probably just as well, as I'd be overrun by now.Here, in the UK I am deemed unsuitable as a rescue foster home because I work. Don't get me started on that! I know my dogs have a way better life than many whose people are home all day.
Anyway, we have something here, which might be worth considering setting up in the US. It is a website called the Oldies Club. Rescues from any part of the UK can list their adoptable seniors, with biog , pics and character. All breeds and crossbreeds are listed and there are searchable areas like 'good with kids', 'active oldies', 'calmer and quieter' etc. Of course, the UK it is much smaller, so there are fewer dogs listed, but it is a really good resource and has seen many 'unadoptable' seniors find twilight homes.
TBH when I adopted Rolph I was looking for a senior and had the website been running then, the chances are I would never have known the joys of basset slavery. Of course, I probably wouldn't have been allowed to adopt, as most rescues here also do not adopt out to people who work full time. Well, I guess with the rise in unemployment that's less of a problem now.
Anyway, for anyone interested, the web address is http://www.oldies.org.uk

Drool to allSally, with Rolph and Clara, the neglected bassets of a working mum, UK