[Dailydrool] ear flapping

bevzap at comcast.net bevzap at comcast.net
Sun Jul 19 07:07:12 PDT 2009

Dog's ear canals are not shaped like people ear canals. It would take some doing for something to get far enough into the ear to rupture the tympanic membrane and if it did you would have SEVERE pain and bleeding, or draining.

When I am scratching ears and the dog starts shaking his head it usually means he has an itchy ear that needs to be cleaned. No biggie. Just clean it the way you always do. If the dog is excessively itchy, and cleaning only makes him shake his head more (Mitchell was big on this) I put a tiny dollop of hydrocortisone cream near the canal and work it in a bit.

If your dog is flappyflappin all over the place constantly then he needs to see the Vet.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper