[Dailydrool] the REAL Canine Influenza

Suzabells at aol.com Suzabells at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 09:16:33 PDT 2009

Dear Droolers and their owners,
In our part of Colorado a nasty dog flu is making the rounds. it is
extremely contagious to other dogs but not to the humans who care for  them.  I
live in Pueblo West, CO, south west of Denver and Springs. Daisy  began to get
very sick about three weeks ago now. I noticed her lethargy and it  was too
much to be attributed to the heat.  her nose was warm, her skin,  even the
inside of her mouth.  she began to throw up the following day and  then
horrendous diarrhea came on.  that dog was so sick I thought she was  dying, I
truly did. and of course, this came on her on a Friday night, the vet  closed
over the weekends.

I  watched her with growing horror every day, I would see her  go out ,
stretch her whole length out , legs propping up both ends and then she  would
wretch in the most painful manner I have ever seen a pet vomit. I gave her
Tums, it seemed to help. she slept with her head on my collarbone(!) all
weekend  long. couldn't believe it!

I hand fed  ice cubes to her by the hour, washed her tail and  bottom when
she came in the house after another arduous round of the poops.  thankfully,
both ends were emptied in the back grass and not in the house. you  second
guess everything you do , everything  you did the days before the  dog got
sick. I didn't know if she had been bitten , got ahold of something  rotten
or what.  I watch her very closely, she is with me all the  time and I just
couldn't account for it.

Monday I took her to the vet,  the vet gave her some  Prednisone for the
stomach inflammation as well as the bowels. she was put on a  "cillin" of some
sort, cant remember the name but all in all it had to run the  course, it
just took awhile.  a week at least. I trust Daisy's  instincts, they are
excellent so we carried on together the best we could all  week with her letting
me know what she needed.

two weeks after the whole affair had passed, our local tv station  ran a
story on the canine flu being widely suffered in Colorado. I wish I had  known
that when Daisy got it but at least I knew we were in the clear  now.  if
you think your dog acts like you do when you  are coming down with something,
call the vet and see if it is going around. she  rarely every comes in
contact with another dog so it is also airborne.  she  is fine now, $230 later
of course and it would have finished up without the trip  to the vet but you
don't know that at the time!   Influenza is mean to  animals and humans, so
beware what  your dog is feeling each day. Good luck  to all of you, just
thought I had better pass this on , it was a bad  experience.  Sue/ Daisy/
Colorado
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323041x1201367261/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul
yExcfooterNO62)