[Dailydrool] Elvis update

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 21 20:58:25 PDT 2009

Today marks one year since Elvis lost the use of his backlegs due to suspected Spondylosis (sp). My mom's vet offered no hope-nor surgery. Told her to send him to the bridge. Lots of droolers said there was hope and thus he came to live here. One year later he now has feeling and reflexes in both legs. His tail is incredibly strong and moves- not a full wag- but will itty bitty wag and lift up a bit. This has actually improved quite a bit in the last week or so. His legs also move. If I hold him up by the tail ( I know this sounds awful, but really isn't. I just have to hold on to it- not hold his weight or anything)he can walk. Looks like a drunken sailor and his legs will cross now and again but he can walk that way. Most of the time his paws will turn the right way- sometimes they still flip toes down. It seems as though his legs are strong enough but he just can't balance himself yet. He 'slinkies' himself along very well, and very fast if he wants to. His legs sort of push as he goes along. He does have some bald spots on his paws from this. He does really cruise and when he is on a mission a pit of glass wouldn't stop him! He still has the loaner wheels from Rusty but we very rarely use them now as I feel it is better for him to use his legs as much as he can. If he has the wheels he won't use his legs- just lets them drag along.

He has twice now, stood up and taken a few steps on his own. Honestly I am not sure I want him to walk again- he has no fear, just like a toddler~ I almost feel he'd be safer if he didn't.

Sunday for the first time since this happened he and Chillie Pepper did an improvised basset 500. Chillie wanted to play ( a rare thing) and she was woofing at him and then began to sort of bodyslam him until he got the idea. It was so sweet to watch it brought tears to my eyes. The last time they did the 500 was the night before this started. ( I was basset-sitting them both at the time).

 I think he is starting to be able to know when he has to pee or poop as he will ask to go out. He wears bellybands inside which work great but he is so mobile that they often slip and we have to adjust his 'speedo' LOL.

He is such a sweetheart and just simply wants LOVE... that's all he needs, just someone to love on him. An marrow bone is nice- but mostly he just wants love. I had to go back to buying Merrick's Senior Medley as he was skipping every other meal of BG ( doctored up a bit of course). Since then he has eaten every meal and poop is firm again. That is a big bonus- you just don't fully appreciate that until you spend weeks on end cleaning up soft stuff!

Anyone who is faced with this, yes it is a lot of work and there are days that will try even a Saint's patience... but it is worth it. Especially when the basset is as sweet as he is. He has attended several waddles and events since coming to live here and is looking to forward to many more. He has completely wrapped the daddy slave about his little paw. It helps that he is cute and gives the "woe is me the little cripple" LOOK when he wants something.

droolies, Angelika, Ms.Brandy and Elvis too!