[Dailydrool] dew, claws

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Wed Jul 22 04:16:53 PDT 2009

Yes.. breeders often have dew claws removed in puppy-dom with the thinking
that "they can get caught on things when they get older and cause damage ..
they aren't needed... etc"

not sure if this will still be acceptible in some circles where AKC is
concerned with breed standard, since more and more standards seem to be
going to the "do not modify the animal unless its really medically necessary
.... "  Personally I love the dew claw ... except when one of my boys is
climbing into/over/on me and the bed.. and happen to start clawing at "the
grass" to make a soft spot in what ever bedsheets are there.... and the claw
finds its way to near my leg and I get a good scratchin! .....

though my worst scratch by far was from a rear leg on the hound, meeting up
with part of my inner thigh!  Still have that scar, nearly stiches worthy!

-Robert

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] dew, claws

My husband was noticing that Honiy, our rescue has dew claws and our other
two bassets, from a breeder do not have dew claws.  Do the breeders have
them removed as tiny puupies.