[Dailydrool] Finger is better and Mango

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Mon Jul 27 10:35:02 PDT 2009

Thanks for all the drool! I had my last dose of IV antibiotics yesterday and will continue the oral abx for about a week yet but the swelling is gone and my finger is healing well. Mango is much happier now that the e-collar has been off for a few days too.

Unfortunately, Mango just can't catch a break. She goes back to the vetman tomorrow to see if the mass on the anal gland is growing or stable and have the glands expressed again. And yesterday I noticed her 2nd toe on the left front foot is swollen with a raw spot. It looks like an interdigital cyst to me but she won't let me get a real close look. I'll have the vet check that tomorrow as well. She isn't going to let me soak it or put any kind of dressing or medication on it but I'll see if she will benefit from some oral keflex or something. I have already decided that I'm not doing any more procedures on her. She gets to be a hound as long as she is comfortable and happy, but nothing more than expressing anals is in her future. Whether it's a week or a year, it will be good food, laying in the sun/shade (as she chooses), and soft beds. When the time comes, she'll go to the Bridge with her dignity. I'm not going to continue to put her through procedures that are uncomfortable and she's made it pretty clear she doesn't want any of that either. We did what was necessary to get her feeling better, remove the tumors and infection, and anything new will just run it's course. Animal control would have sent her to the Bridge in April from a cement run, in pain and alone. She's well fed, and enjoying company and a soft bed now and that is what I wanted for her. I hope we have lots of time, but every day is a gift and that is what we will do - take it one day at a time.

Thanks again for the "hand" drool, and it can now be recycled to others more needy!

Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl, Mango
Ace, Sage, Maya, Kirby

PS Kirby the Saint, who almost died back in April as well is getting ready for his Canine Good Citizen test in a few weeks and therapy dog training/testing with TDI in Sept....