[Dailydrool] Rolph's latest escapade

sally king sally.king at nqe.com
Wed Jul 29 03:03:02 PDT 2009

Last night Rolph really had the naughties in him - even worse than usual.

He broke into the girls' bedroom and stole a whole pot of fish food, tried to ruin a pair of favourite shoes, ripped up a flip flop, tried extra hard to steal our dinner - and the rest of it.
Later, when I was out in the garden, he found a packet of ibuprofen (zipped away in a handbag) and was busy chewing up a blister pack when I came back in. Talk about panic!

We managed to get it back from him, and after close inspection, decided he had probably eaten one, 200g tablet.
I rang the emergency vet service which was being manned by someone with no veternary qualifications, who had to ring a poisons service and call me back.
In my book I should have made him vomit (as he'd only just swallowed it) and then given him something like peptobismol to line his stomach, just in case.

But the EV just said he was boarderline toxicity, not to make him vomit, but to watch him closely and if he vomited or had the squits overnight, to take him to their ER which is a 45 minute drive away.
Rolph, meanwhile, was looking very pleased with himself, having finally got all the attention he was obvioulsy craving.
Long story short, he is fine. We enjoyed a long walk, came home and he slept like a baby.

But, I still think I should have made him vomit and would be interested in the Drool's thoughts. Also, I have read many of you administer hydrogen peroxide to make them sick.  I would think this must burn the throat on the way down and again on the way back up. Do you use a dilute form? And how much? Last night I was mixing salt water while calling the vet. Is this as effective if no HP is to hand?

Anyway, I'm with Bev. From now on it's hamsters!

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK