[Dailydrool] inducing vomiting

V. Tata-Phillips my4hounds at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 29 09:25:53 PDT 2009

I have only induced vomiting with dire emergencies - chocolate, LOTSA dry pasta, rat poison (that is another story!) - so frankly, I don't care if the hydrogen peroxide burned on the way down and up - I was saving lives!

I don't mix with milk - I don't measure - just pour a slug into a shot glass - grab that Basset nose, point it toward the sky and pour it down the throat!  Whatever has been injested comes right back up but quick!  The rule I was once told is that if the offending substance had been injested within the past hour to induce vomiting - if it had been more than an hour - go to ER vet - especially with the chocolate scenario.

Once 2 Bassets and a Dachshund apparently ate a case of 36 large candy bars we had gotten for Halloween.  I dosed the 3 dogs and prayed - up came wrappers and chocolate and all - and while Winnie and the Dachshund, Rudy, were busy puking, poor Charles was just retching and digging up candy bars and bringing them to me.  It appears while his sister and brother were gulping them down, he was taking them away and burying them, all the while saying, 'No guys, don't eat those, Mom won't like it and she will get the foamy yucky drink for us!'  He brought me 8 or 10 candy bars, all covered with drool and dirt - good boy, Charles!

I don't know about the salt water, but hydrogen peroxide is so cheap - it should be in everyone's emergency kit - but watch as it does expire - whenever I see it on sale 3 for $1.00, I stock up so we have one in each bathroom and one in the kitchen.  Small price to pay for the quick fix when needed!

Remind me to tell you the rat poison story next, if I have not already posted it before!

GinnyTata-Phillips, co-author of DOGKU, PETKU and the all Bassets all the time BASSETKU!

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me