[Dailydrool] Does anyone else have a cicada eater?

Sharon Novy sharonnovy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 10:40:51 PDT 2009

This is my question of the day.  Does anyone else have a cicada eater?  My Bogart is almost 12 and for years is obsessed with hunting and eating cicadas in the yard in the wee hours of the night.  We have a doggie door and the problem is that as an old dog, he has to pee at night and I can't really close the doggie door on him with him waking me up to let him out.  I have discussed this with my vet and I know that it isn't toxic (although in his case since he has IBD, it's not the greatest protein source!).  There have been rare reports of dogs who eat so many the shells form an obstruction in their tummy.  Bogart does so much of the bizarre and funny     quirks that we all write about, but I haven't seen someone else write on this.  Is this his unique delicacy or do others do this too!?

Sharon Novy
Arizona