[Dailydrool] An initial bond

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Fri Jul 31 07:55:46 PDT 2009

I just read a post where someone said that not every hound can bond with every person, and that there has to be that initial iinstant bond.? I'm sure this happens in some cases, but with many rescued hounds, I doubt this is the case.? When Fred and Annie came to live with me, Annie didn't trust me (or anyone, for that matter) AT ALL.? She wouldn't get off the couch except when I put her leash on her and gently dragged her!? I had to hand feed her on the couch.? She wouldn't let me walk behind her, and always had her tail between her legs.? Every night, when Fred went to sleep, I'd sit on the floor by the couch, pet her and talk to her quietly.? I took what she gave, which was very little at first.? Fast forward 2 years and I am now the ONLY person she trusts.? She loves her mommy and is extremely protective.? My bond with her is so special, because I had to work so hard for it.? I would imagine that this is the case with many rescued hounds...they can't bond immediately because they've never been given any reason to trust any human.? When they do learn to trust and love you though, it is the most amazing feeling!

Rose, Annie (yeah, I love my mom!) and Fred (I love everybody, but especially my mom!)