[Dailydrool] An initial bond

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Fri Jul 31 11:59:17 PDT 2009

I am in complete agreement with what Rose had to say about rescue and bonding.
Bazzle instantly bonded and was a happy boy when I picked him up but he was only
9 months old. Senior gal Nelly Belle is a a totally different story.  She did not instantly bond
and was terrified of coming through the front door, wire crates and everyone in general.
She spent the first weeks with her tail tucked and hiding.  She ran when there was any loud
noises and I had to keep my voice soft when I spoke to her.  She did start  to bond with me a
little after the first week.  I could only pet her if I was sitting on the floor for weeks.  She still has a
trust issue with everyone but me. We are still working on it and it has been over 9 months.
She still hates me leaving (even to take the trash out) and will sing her frustration,
joined in of course by the other four and  Cuddles the guinea pig.

With some rescues it takes lots time and lots of patience before that special bond will come.
I think that you also need to have that special quality of not giving up.  There is nothing
like the first time that you see them roll on their back happily on the floor or when you get
that belly turned up just for you to rub.  The very best thing is when you get that First Kiss!
When you really have to work for their love and trust then the bond that is created  is a very
special one.

We send Drool to all in need,
Karen and The Dog House Gang  (We love our Momma!)