[Dailydrool] Pano, scabies mange and whipworm

Renee Kummerer msbbeabear at comcast.net
Mon Jun 1 19:44:33 PDT 2009

I have a puppy who is still limping on the right foot.  Sometimes better sometimes really bad.  It seems his back right leg gets stiff at the same time.  Could this be pano?  He is 11 months now.  He has had this for three months with not a lot of improvement.  Any suggestions?
Also,  we took in a Basset Hound Friday night from someone who needed to get rid of him asap. and we were able to get a great home for him with a school teacher here who already had two of them.  He was
a year old and a real sweetheart.  He was very skinny.  His ears were almost hairless.  I could tell he did not have much care so I gave him a bath and cleaned ears and cut his nails.  Not a peep out of him.  The school teacher picked him up on Saturday morning so we only had him about 14 hours.  Later on Saturday, Sue took him to the vet to have him checked out.  Turns out the poor boy has whipworm, and a case of mange.  Bad part is,  both are tranmitable to my 4 dogs.  The whipworm I am sure no one will get because no one got a chance to be around his stool.  Now the mange is another story.  Our 10 month older was playing with him alot.  so I ended up stripping beds, dog beds, bathing the dogs and now I am hoping for the best.  Our vet said it will take 2 weeks to a month to see if anyone gets infected with anything.  Has anyone ever faced these problems?  I understand there is nothing much we can do to prevent anything from happening.  Our only defense is that our dogs have a clean enviorment and they have healthy immune systems that usually can fight off things like this.  Thank God we didn't  had him here all that long.  I really hope this poor guy gets better and lives a long life.
Renee