[Dailydrool] Rescue Group giving away Sr & Special Needs Bassets

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Wed Jun 3 08:06:58 PDT 2009

Senior Sale?

Sure.. not necessarily "for puppies" but to be able to bring in more
adoptable hounds, and to get hounds into homes that for no other reason but
their age or disability wouldn't get adopted easily. sure.. why not ?

Who goes into a shelter or contacts a rescue group and says.. "no no.. I
want to pay you 250 for a senior that will probably leave me in a year ... "
... "oh no.. I really love having a hound that I have to do daily medicines
for ... its practice for when I get older..."

Those type of people don't exist.. and lets be honest.. many rescues spend
FAR MORE than the adoption fees cover, for the animals they try to re-home
... its not that they don't want to care for the geriatrics, but that they
know that all the older hounds want is stability, some love, a warm home
when its cold, a cool home when its hot, and water.. maybe some toys or
others to play with.. etc... and which is better for them? Staying in a
rescue's kennel or shelter... or getting a home where they can be cared for
in their later years (or months, or even weeks)?

I know BROOD (www.brood-va.org) doesn't generally charge an adopter a fee
for owner give ups.. and even if they did I couldn't fault them that.. not
after having worked with them for 4 years, knowing what the hounds go
through and how some people who give up their hounds absolutely lie about
it.. or are doing so for the very reason the Rescue might offer a no fee
adoption.. no lie.. I've seen the papers where the person puts down age or
some age related statement as why they were getting rid of their dog..

So if a rescue is at the point of begging people to take the elders, and at
no fee.. it means they really need someone to step forward and give the care
for these hounds that should be better than what got them to where they
are.. because the last thing anyone in rescue wants, is a hound to whittle
away in a cage, or not getting a decent percentage of their remaining time
with as much good, kind, and loving human contact as possible in good
homes..

-Robert

  _____

Has anyone ever heard of a rescue group "waiving adoption fees" on senior &
special needs bassets to make room for puppies?