[Dailydrool] Dailydrool Digest, Vol 61, Issue 5

Jaclyn Whitehorn jwhitehorn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 09:17:52 PDT 2009

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 06:38:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Karen Williams <bazadaba at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Dailydrool] Rescue Group giving away Sr & Special Needs
>        Bassets
> To: dailydrool at dailydrool.org
>
> Has anyone ever heard of a rescue group "waiving adoption fees" on senior &
> special needs bassets to make room for puppies?  I heard of a rescue group
> that is doing just that and I am concerned about the message this sends.
> Thanks.

I have seen this as well as reduced fees for the same group of dogs. This
isn't the same as "giving away" the dogs, as potential adopters are put
through the same application and home visit process as any other. And yes,
dogs that aren't as easy to adopt out do take up foster or kennel spots; I
prefer this policy over one that keeps a rescue from accepting senior hounds
in the first place.

Having adopted and fostered multiple senior bassets over the last 7 years, I
actually appreciate the message this sends. It tells me the group
appreciates that I would be willing to pour my love, money, and time into a
dog other people don't want. (At one time--when I had THREE bassets above
the age of 12 in addition to my four cats--I spent as much or more on food,
medications, and vet visits as I did on my mortgage. Which is when I quit
looking at that budget report!)

Jaclyn
(and the non-senior canines -- my heart was just too broken to do it again.)