[Dailydrool] Senior "Give Away"

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 17:14:49 PDT 2009

As I sit here, I'm surrounded by 6 of the most wonderful hounds in the world.  Only one (my Hannah, going on 16 and whose calendar day is July 31st) is "mine", the others were dumped in kill shelters or let out of their yards to "find their own way" by people who obviously don't share my love and appreciation for these experienced ones.  These guys have the most simple of needs - a soft bed, as much good food as they can con out of you and an occasional kind word and pat.  I get really disgusted with people as a whole as I deal with the bassets that wind up in need of our help but the ones that make me really angry and really sad are the seniors.  To abandon these wonderful souls after giving a family the best years of their lives speaks volumes about us as a society.

We are a rescue that takes seniors in - that means that our foster spaces are filled until the senior basset is adopted or comes to the end of their life.  If we can find a home that will welcome a senior into their family and give them the love and kindness they deserve, I am thrilled to waive the adoption fee (actually we reduce it to $1.00).  So cheers to those rescues that save those senior bassets and cheers to those families that take them in and love them for whatever time they have left.  We are all blessed aren't we?

Pam Farris
Basset Rescue of Florida, Inc.
www.BassetRescueFlorida.com