[Dailydrool] Bassets as therapy dogs

Bonnie Harlow blessedbassets at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 11:58:26 PDT 2009

I have just begun checking into requirements to qualify as a therapy dog to go into hospitals, nursing homes, etc..  We have taken children to be involved at nursing homes for years and would now like to take a couple of our Bassets.  I talked with a woman very involved in training for therapy dogs and she had some question about whether Bassets were able to focus enough and be obedient enough to pass the therapy dog test.  All areas must be passed on only verbal commands and hand signals no use of the leash.  Having had several Bassets in obedience class I feel confident that they can be trained to pass the test.
   Have any droolers become certified as therapy dogs?  what has your experience been?  Thanks so much,
Bonnie and the Blessed Bassets