[Dailydrool] Senior Special Needs Fees

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Thu Jun 4 11:57:21 PDT 2009

I don't believe any rescue has the attitude that seniors are worth
less than any other hound. But people do tend to snap those puppies right
up, and the seniors wait much longer for homes. It seems if they are over
10 the chances of them getting adopted is very slim.
I believe it is just a matter of economic survival for the rescues to waive
fees. All the rescues are overflowing and in dire need of money due to the
economy. More owner surrenders are dogs that need serious medical attention and the owner can't or won't pay for it. If you don't have enough foster homes, keeping a rescue in a kennel is really expensive.
I was fostering Chester (NO tear duct function, allergies, autoimmune issues) and after about 5 minutes decided to adopt him. Utah Friends of
Basset Hounds kindly waived his fee ($125.00) as I had been helping
pull dogs from shelters. I made a donation of more than that, anyway,
but I appreciated the gesture. I adopted him in June, and spent $3500.00
in vet bills before the end of the year.
UFBH has some dogs will Addisons and Cushings. I think the Addisions
meds are about $125.00 a month. It is well worth it for them to waive
the small fee if someone will adopt that dog, they come out way ahead on
money in the end. It doesn't mean they don't value that animal.
It is impossible to put a value on a pet. It is unfortunate that all rescues
don't have unlimited funds to work with, but they certainly don't. The rescue
business is dang tough. The people in Utah are fabulous, and you cannot
believe the sacrifices they make to keep things going. As long as the dogs
go to good homes (and you can bet our Utah people make sure they do), it
would be great to never have any fees.  But it isn't a perfect world. If it
was, there would be no dogs to rescue.  Send some money to your local
rescue today. You can bet they really, really need it.
--
Marilyn Briggs