[Dailydrool] Floor slippage & transporting

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 11:47:45 PDT 2009

Hehe, I think of the "new floors" thing, I always remember our old cocker
spaniel, Buffy. He LOVED to chase a tennis ball, and would retrieve a lot of
toys. Anyway, when I was little mom & dad put in linolium around most of the
house, and poor Buffy would get going running, then, not knowing there was
now brand new, slippery linolium under his paws go to make a turn... This
usually resulted in said cocker spaniel coming to a sudden stop, courtesy of
a wall or a chair. He wasn't ever hurt by this, and eventually got his
bearings & the floor borke in, and all was well, but for the first few days
the poor thing would crash land. Now the hounds do the 500 daily, and the
only slidding is on the big area rug in the living room. Checkers, the
bagel, has learned that if he gets going real good, he can do a bit of "rug
surfing" as he stops, slides, truns around & does it again.

As for transporting, it can actually be quite fun!! I've been doing
transports for various rescues in the midwest for about 16 mos. (started Jan
'08). My friend & my dad have also gotten in on the transporting, and we've
made it a family affair w/mom a few times as well. It's actually quite nice;
you get to take dogs (or cats if you prefer) that are on the "rescue
railroad," put them in your car & drive, and hand them off. Or, if you're
like me, you get someone else to do the driving, and simply sit & pet &
entertain all the wonderful dogs! Plus, it really doesn't have to cost that
much in time or money! The routes we do often come close to home, and
usually for multiple dogs.

If anyone out in drool land is interested in getting into transporting,
yahoo groups is a great place to look. There's a number of transport
coordinators who manage groups/e-lists there, and it's usually by region.
It's so nice to see dogs that wouldn't otherwise have a chance come through,
as you know they're going on to wonderful new homes!
--
-Karrie, momma to Joey, Aunty to Checkers & Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473