[Dailydrool] Miss Angela's Diet Update

bjenk1 at cox.net bjenk1 at cox.net
Tue Jun 9 07:53:49 PDT 2009

Bill here, press agent/personal trainer to Miss Angela Basset, Droop and Drool Diva of Wichita and Sedgwick County

The good news is that Miss Angela's weight is down 3 1/2 pounds.  That was as of last week.  We'll monitor again when she goes for her weekly appearance at Doggy Day Care.  I actually felt a rib (or maybe it is just wishful thinking generating an illusion) when she climbed up on my lap to lobby for extra food.

On the other hand, Miss Angela's dignity is slipping badly.  She whines, cries and barks for better and more frequent feedings.  She pushes her bowl around the kitchen with her nose.  She finds more things outside to taste.  She has become a table-side beggar.   Of course, I have hardened my heart to these pleas (for her own good.)  She even goes next door to beg for snacks.
Day before yesterday, she wandered next door (we live in a duplex so next door is only across a foyer and, since we are good friends, the doors are often open) to scout the grazing possibilities.  My neighbor had left a pork chop on a plate on her dining table.  You would think by now that she would be alert to Angela's abilities as a counter cruiser, but I guess she underestimated the scavenging urge in a diva on a diet.  Anyway, Miss Angela scored the porkchop, scampered between my neighbor and her boyfriend, and headed for her hideout under my dining table.  By the time I got there, she was crunching up the last of the bone.  Of course, I was humiliated that my usually dignified employer would stoop to theft and concerned that she was chewing up a cooked bone.  Still, by the time I got to her, she was just finishing up, looking guilty but quite pleased with herself.

I have encouraged the letter carrier to break treats in half and I have done the same so her treat rations are cut by fifty percent.  We are trying to walk more regularly, but when it is hot, Miss Angela declines to go walkies.  She will go flat basset even before we get outside.  This week looks to be cool, however, and we will attempt to get back into the swing of things.

I will keep you posted unless Miss Angela gives me a strict gag order.

Bill (Come on, Angie.  Walkies)
Angela (Hey it's only 10 AM.  Practically middle of the night. Leave me alone)