[Dailydrool] Ear Infections

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Thu Jun 11 17:26:50 PDT 2009

Renee,

I'm sorry you and your foster are having such problems with those ol'ears.  We noticed the other day that Frank and Sarah were scratching their ears -- and the thing we noticed was that they haven't done that in several months!  They used to scratch, shake, and rub all the time, almost every day.  Here's what we assume has made the difference:  they each get a teaspoon of yogurt (Dannon Plain, we buy it in the big container) on top of their food, for each of their twice-a-day meals.

We also use the Blue Power ear cleaner on both of them whenever either of them starts acting like anything is bothering an ear.  I wrote on the Blue Power bottle when I made it last, and it says "May, 2008".  We used it a lot last year, but not so much lately.  I think I'll make a fresh batch, just in case.  If you don't know about the Blue Power stuff, just google "blue power ear" and you'll find thousands of references.  Here's the basic recipe:

BLUE POWER EAR TREATMENT
16 oz. Isopropyl Alcohol
(or 16 oz. Witch Hazel if ears are very inflamed or sore)
4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1% (you have to ask for this at the druggist - not Rx, but kept behind the counter)
Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well.

There are lots more directions about using it online; holler if you want more specifics.

Nancy, owned by Sweet Sarah and Frank the Tank