[Dailydrool] Ear Infections

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Thu Jun 11 17:29:14 PDT 2009

Hi Miriam and Jody.

I hope I don't offend you, but if it were me I would be looking for another vet for a few reasons.

My Tucker (ATB) hated going to the vet and was extremely nervous.  Because of his pain issues being picked up and examined always caused him pain so he would snap at whoever was closest.  The nervousness made it difficult to examine him as he would tighten up.  The only thing I ever had to do was muzzle him.  Of course if we had to do x-rays or any other procedures then they would sedate him.  I will admit that we discussed giving him something to calm before visits but we agreed that I would just pre-medicate  with one extra pain pill prior to the visit.  I am not sure what Jody's issue at the vet is but I have to question anyone that would suggest sedating them with ACE before any kind of visit.  The other thing about ACE is that a dog can actually bring themselves up out of it for periods of time.

As far as her telling you to never clean Jody ears in my opinion that is beyond ridiculous.  In my opinion that would be setting him up for ear infections.  I have used Epi-Otic (from the vet) for years and have had 1 ear infection and that was from a foxtail.  The kidz get their ears cleaned weekly.  I use to take Tucker to the river to swim with Ruby Doo.  I cleaned his ears with the Epi-Otic when we got home and never had a problem.

If his ears are red and inflamed it does not necessarily mean he has an ear infection.  Two of my gals have allergies that will show up with red ears.   Nelly Belle (a rescue) came with impacted debris in her ears and required major flushing and treatment.  Bazzle my other rescue had an ear infection as well that didn't clear up with the vet's antibiotics.  I use the Blue Ear Power (homemade is cheaper) every two weeks after I did the initial treatment recommended.  There has been no further infections and Bazzle is prone to them.  I also use this on any hot spots or minor cuts even myself when I have cut myself.  The link is http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/Adobe/Blue%20Power%20Ear%20Treatment.pdf   The actual mix is on page 3.  There are a lot of droolers that use this mix but use it outside as it will stain.

When I clean ears I grab both ear flaps, pull them up, squirt the solution in and do a 1 minute ear massage (be sure to massage low in the ear canal area from the outside) I then just wipe them out with a cotton ball.  One other thing I will share with you.  If you find Jody creates lots of brown gunk then you need to clean his ears more often.  I have found that the gunk was caused by corn in the kibble with my kidz.

I get the impression that this vet just wants a sedated dog and to make all the money she can on him.  I am sure she would love my 3 droolers who always pee in the floor at the vet and then the husky who acts like you are "killing her" when she gets her nails trimmed.  Ultimately it is your choice but I always recommend finding a vet that is familiar with basset hounds or you are going to spend a lot of unnecessary money.

Sending Healing Ear Drool and Belly Rubs for Jody,
Karen and The Dog House Gang
(Momma wat an ear fection?)