[Dailydrool] Grain Free vs All Protein

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Thu Jun 11 20:10:30 PDT 2009

Melissa, the foods aren't all protein.  They have other foods in them, just not grain.

Some of them are high, like 32% protein, others like Taste of the Wild Fish based is only 25% which is comparable to alot of other high end foods with grains.

The only thing I have heard from a couple of canine nutritionists (and vets don't get a lot of classes on nutrition) is that young puppies shouldn't be on a high protein food.  But 25% protein isn't all that high.

I take what most vets say with a grain of salt, especially when they push whatever they sell on premise.

I use to feed a raw diet and moved onto grain free food.    I have never had gas problems, ear infections, itchy allergies etc etc.

Dogs can't digest grains very well and they aren't a natural food for canines of any species.
Cathy Blatz
www.summerhilldachshundsandbassets.com
http://www.geocities.com/clubbasset/index.html
http://www.dachshund-wpdc.org/