[Dailydrool] Paw Problem

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 10:07:21 PDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile since my last post; it's been a busy spring/summer and I've
fallen about a month behind on the Drools. Lots of healing drool to everyone
who's lost a loved one of any species and all the ailing houndies. I hope
you're few and far between.

For the last day or so, Humphrey's been licking between the 'heel' pad (I
don't really know what to call it) and the outside toe pad on his right
front paw. I took a flashlight to it and the skin is red but not inflamed. I
couldn't see any signs of a cut or any other sort of infection - no
puffiness, no discoloration beyond the red, which I think is probably from
his licking. There does seem to be a blister (unpopped) on his 'heel' pad; a
small area of it is white and has a pruney, slightly stretched look, but I
can't tell if the pruniness is caused by his licking, or the cause OF his
licking. He's not having any difficulty walking, he's not favoring the foot,
and he doesn't have a problem with me touching it; it just seems to be
itching him quite a lot.

We just had a $400 vet bill so I'd rather not call the vet if it's something
I can fix myself. (Of course, if it does require a vet's attention, the doc
will be called right away.)

Should I wash it with hydrogen peroxide? Or maybe just warm soapy water, and
towel it off well?

Any advice, here or off-list, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rebecca, Kit, Humphrey & Professor Bix