[Dailydrool] Picky Bassets

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Fri Jun 12 18:05:48 PDT 2009

Jane and Fred must talk on the phone!? I wrote in a few weeks ago because Fred had decided that he wasn't eating anymore.? He'd been at Doggie Daycare for a weekend, and seemed to have a bit of a stomach bug, so I thought that was the problem.? However, when I made him chicken and rice, he gobbled it down (he also wanted Chinese food, cookies, etc.)? I would slowly cut back on the chicken and increase his regular food, but as soon as I eliminated it, he stopped eating again.? Well, I don't even cook for myself, so I was not going to cook for him!!? I had been feeding them the exact same food for at least a year, because it seemed that if I switched, it would upset their stomachs.? I decided to try again and combine what they were used to with something new (to ease the transition.)? I feed them the Eagle Pack dry food.? I bought the fish-blend one (I think it's salmon, tuna and anchovies.)? I chose it because it stinks, so I thought it would be right up Fred's alley!? I also give them a tablespoon of canned food mixed in, so I bought some new flavors.? Ever since then, he has only not eaten one morning, and I do think that his stomach was bothering him a bit.? By dinnertime, he was fine.? I plan to periodically switch the dry food flavor, and buy a variety of canned foods.? I heat the wet food in the microwave so that he can really smell it and know that it's something new!

Gosh, what they put us through...I feel like a short-order cook!!

Rose, Annie (I'll eat anything, including poop!) and Fred (Mom, you try eating the same thing for a whole year and see how you like it!)