[Dailydrool] Lexie has gone to the rainbow bridge

Racetrcker at aol.com Racetrcker at aol.com
Fri Jun 12 20:14:57 PDT 2009

Our Lexie was only 8 1/2. She was one of the twelve puppies  born on New
Year's Eve, 2000, to Ellie at Arizona Basset Rescue.  We were  lucky enough to
be able to adopt her and her brother, Rocky, in June,  2001.  She had
always been a healthy and happy girl.  Just about 10  days ago, she didn't want
her dinner which was the first time this had ever  happened.  Then she
vomited three times and a couple of hours later, she  didn't want to walk or move
at all.  So I rushed her to the emergency  hospital.  The diagnosis was
acute pancreatitis.  This is often caused  by a lot of fat in the diet, but we
didn't give these two guys people food at  all except for green beans in
their dinner (to hold down the weight) and  occasionally pizza bones.  She was
in the hospital for about 5 days and  they wanted to do surgery but her own
vet didn't like that idea at all and had  me move her to a different
emergency hospital.  They took her off the very  high doses of pain medication she
had been on and she seemed to improve  somewhat.  Yesterday I got to bring
her home.  She had been walking a  little better each day for the past 2-3
days and was starting to eat a  little.  She was drinking and wagging her tail
whenever I went to  visit.  We thought she had turned the corner.  This
morning she seemed  so much better.  I went to her vet to pick up the special
low fat food they  wanted her to be eating and when I got home, she had just
awakened from her  afternoon nap and couldn't use her hind end at all. She
couldn't stand up  or even move.  But the tail was wagging.   And she was
panting  very heavily.  Her dad helped me get her in the car and I brought her
back  to the emergency hospital while he stayed home with Rocky who was very
upset by  this.   They thought that the inflammation in her pancreas had
probably caused a blood clot which had gone up to the brain.  She was
neurologic.  They said we could run a bunch of diagnostic tests to know  exactly
what was going on, but we didn't want to put her through that. The vet  had
said that she had been "through an awful ordeal" while in the hospital so we
didn't want to do anything else to her.  I got to visit with her for a
while but I knew it was time to let her go.

Rocky is still upset and nervous.  I can't believe we  don't have her here
anymore.

Carol
fingertips.