[Dailydrool] advice for ansy Lilly

anitra palato santanapants at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 19:19:38 PDT 2009

Hi everyone, we are sending drool and prayers to all who need it.

It has been 2mths now that we have had our Lilly Rose who we adopted from
rescue.
She has really adapted to life at home very well.  She has her favorite
spots, toys, she sleeps on our bed, she loves her brother Santana, she has
the sillest personality!

I am seeking advice for her adapting to life outside of the house.  Like
visits to petsmart and walks.
We took her to petsmart and she did ok, she cried a little, then got so
nervous she pooped 2 times in the store.
There was a man and his wife who wanted to pet her.  I told them to go easy
on her because she is still a little ansy outside of the house.  They said
they completly understood as they have a dog that does the same.  So they
pet Santana 1st who just loves being petted and loved on.  Lilly cowarded
down and put her tail between her legs.  I do not worry about her nipping or
biting. She just gets extremely scared and tries to run so I talk to her
calmly and she comes back but then tries to run again.
The man kept petting Santana then Lilly got courage and went up to them.
Her tail still between her legs, but wagging.  She let him pet her but
really fast then cowars back to me.  She did let the checkout person give
her a treat though.  She is not afraid of dogs just people.  She will go up
to the dogs, but if the person talks to her she cowers.  This is especially
true if there are smaller 2 leggers involved.

We have taken her on many walks aroudn the neighborhood. She is improving
but was pooping the entire way like she is nervous and it makes her go. On
different occasions kids asked to pet her and I said she is a little scared,
but if you pet Santana she might come up to you.  Well one little girl pet
Santana but then her little baby sister came up and was screaming in
excitement because she saw Lilly, so Lilly again tried to run.  She did this
again when 2 little girls wanted to pet her, I told them to Pet Santana 1st,
and see if she comes to them.  She did but then one saw Lilly allowing her
to pet her so she came and then Lilly was running and pulling like she was
going to die.  Santana got his love and we moved on.

I also remain calm but she gets me worried when she starts trying to run and
pull.

Does anyone have any advice that I can start trying with Lilly?  She does
GREAT at home.  She invites guests into our house, she lets them pet her,
she acts like normal Lilly.  Outside of the house it is different.

We know about puppy classes and how they socialize her, at this time it is
not in our budget but I would like to try somethings on my own while we are
out and about at petsmart, or walks to help her out.

Thanks!! DROOL to all who need it!!!

--
Anitra
Momma To

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a Basset Hound licking your face