[Dailydrool] Senior gone wild

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 15:18:34 PDT 2009

Not sure what Maggie's issue is, but she appears to be "off her rocker" so
to say. Let me first start out by saying that we are good pet owners. We
take our pets with us to family functions, weekend outings, feed them on
time, research their foods, up to date on vaccinations and such, license
them, bathe them, don't let them bark uncontrollably, clean up after them on
a walk and in our yard (three or four times a week on that one), etc.
Anyhow, good basset and doxie people.

Somehow, that stubborn old mule Maggie chooses to prove us wrong on that
issue this weekend. She has taken off on us not once, and not just one day,
but twice on both days this weekend. We have a chain link fence and when we
open the gate to let her in off she runs. Both times it was my 10 year old
son and this hasn't been an issue before. She ran right across the road to
the neighbor's house to the Labrador and pit bull. Not only is she off her
rocker; she apparently has a death wish too. This morning, I witnessed it
first hand and I hollered Maggie get back here and off she went after the
pit bull again. He was being walked and he was on a leash this time. Off she
went. There goes my son barefoot, in his boxers and a robe flopping in the
wind after her. I am so nervous that she is going to be hit by a car, but I
am more than that. I am pissed at her for putting my child in danger also.
So, I went out next time and I have two slip not leashes and I used a slip
not leash on her and brought her in that way today. I cannot chase her. She
is over 9 1/2, but when she is bound and determined to go off she runs as
fast as she can go. We live on a corner so she crossed where 2 roads
intersect and people drive by so fast sometimes, even though we live in the
city.  So for now the plan is for my son not to be letting Maggie in and for
Maggie to be using the slip not leash if it is my 12 year old daughter that
lets her in instead. So, like I said---senior gone wild.

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee, Maggie, Mazzie, Oliver & Cooper