[Dailydrool] Our official bad news for Kelvin

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Mon Jun 15 19:48:25 PDT 2009

Our vet is making Kelvin's diagnosis of CRF official as of 3:30 pm this
afternoon, though he refers to it as CRD.

After letting him have his regular diet for the last month, jerky treats
included, his BUN number went back up to 54 from 34. Further proving
that his protein intake is actually causing the problem and not the
erhlickia or anything else. We had been hoping this was a chemical OD
issue but it's not to be.  So after about 20 minutes going through his
food list he suggests u/d but decided not to use it due to the rice
(kelvin throws up anything with rice in it) and we decide to give the
canned k/d a trial run to see if he'll eat it first and foremost and to
see if his numbers drop any further.  He also is wanting me to keep
Kelvin on the light side, as in under 50 pounds (he was back up to 52
this month, I think the scales last time were off), not sure if I'm
happy with that advice.  After all this is the same guy who keeps
telling me that my dane mix is too heavy at 80 pounds when every other
vet that has seen her has wanted her closer to 90 if I can get her to
eat enough to gain weight.

What a way to celebrate 6 months with us huh?

I don't like Science Diet and the vet knows it. After looking at the
analysis info I ran back up to the vet with a can of the LID Potato and
Duck formula (we've only been letting him have canned for upset tummy
days). Slightly higher on the protein but he's ok with it for right now,
wants me to see if I can get a phospho level from the company.

Having not eaten today I give him a meal of the k/d fully expecting him
to turn up his nose. Once I got the can open however he was jumping
around and doing his version of the happy dance and was nearly pulling
his bowl out of my hands. He does NOT do this with any other food at
all; canned, loaf, leftovers or dry, no matter how long he's been
without food either. He ate the fastest I've ever seen him eat too, his
bowl was licked clean in less than a minute where with everything else
we've tried it's a minimum of 5 minutes.

I think he's eaten this before!

I have him on the Standard Process supplements, we started this
afternoon once the shipment came in.  To say the least my budget is gone
and all the free income we have is going to pay for his meds.  It's
starting to get a little confusing to remember who gets what
supplement/meds etc at what time.....

On that note, my partner and I decided to close our rescue due to city
government issues and the fact that we both now have chronically ill
pets.  We are going to keep our Pet Finder listings up for Sally and
Schroeder until they are both adopted, after that we are closing down
the account.  I will be starting up a basset only rescue eventually but
it will be a private rescue where I take one at a time.  I think I'll
wait until a few months after we get S&S adopted to give myself a break
from having 6 dogs to feed ;)  If anyone wants to adopt a senior basset,
either one would be a great addition, just email me.

If you'd like to see newer pics of Kelvin, go toward the bottom of the page:
http://www.krausdesigns.com/Kelvin
And we have a few extra:
http://www.krausdesigns.com/images/Dogs/DSCF3508a.JPG
http://www.krausdesigns.com/images/Dogs/DSCF3503a.JPG