[Dailydrool] Poor Clara - again

sally king sally.king at nqe.com
Tue Jun 16 01:54:51 PDT 2009

Poor Clara is really in the wars at the moment.

Despite spraying the house with 'Zodiac' 12-month flea spray and them both being up to date with Frontline combi, somehow they have both ended up scratching so badly I had to take them to the vet. He decided it was fleas, gave them both a pred shot and prescribed prednisone tablets for a week (2 for 3 days, one for three more days).

Clara continued to scratch under her chin making a raw hotspot. I bathed it in hibiscrub and put some Halo balm on it, but she carried on scratching, creating a 3ins sq area that is red and hairless with open sores, one of which is about 2 1/2 ins long and 3/4ins wide. I have bathed it and fashioned a wide collar out of newspaper, lined with sterile gauze so she cannot scratch (although she still tries). The patch is in between her dewlap so a bit sweaty and liable to drool.

Then, this morning I was woken at 4am by the sound of a vomiting dog. Poor little thing continued to upchuck for the next two hours. She asked for breakfast, so I gave her a little, but she brought it back up again after half and hour and then threw up again while out on our morning walk.

So, here are my questions. Can prednisone upset stomachs? Is it usual for a dog taking pred to still be itching so badly? And, although I'll almost certainly take her back to the vet this evening, does anyone have any thoughts about how to make things easier for her with the owie on her neck?

Thanks
Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK