[Dailydrool] temporary puppy 2

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Tue Jun 16 09:53:16 PDT 2009

We have been trying desperately to talk her out of Peeka, and she gave us the alternative of Sampson.  Great name, and it fits him.  He is a little tough man-dog!  This puppy has no fear of anything!  He LOVES bigger dogs, and over the weekend was playing with a friend's lab mix. Clover, our 13 yr old basset, didn't like being a mother.  As soon as her pups were weaned she wouldn't even talk to them anymore.  When she did it was snarky for a long time.  Yesterday she CARRIED the puppy down the ramp to the back yard.  Very gently, nudged him out the dog door then noticed he didn't follow her, so she went back and picked him up and deposited him at the bottom.  Now, this pup has no problem going out on his own, going down the ramp, and was pretty much housebroke the moment he got here.  No accidents in the house.  He was so proud the first time he pushed his way through the dog door and trotted down the ramp to poop without any supervision!  Clover is not crazy about his little sharp teeth, but she actually tolerates him, lets him bite her ears without too much reprimand, and actually didn't snark at him when he bit her nipple last night.  This is such a funny relationship to watch! I guess that sometimes other peoples kids are better than your own.

Sampson the world's cutest puppy is safe, he has a temporary home with 6 bassets, 14 young chickens, and 3 turkey chicks.  Last night he learned the Sit command in about 3 minutes.  Not bad for a 9 week old puppy.  Difficult to do that with a basset! In a couple of weeks he will go to MIL's house and his permanent home. Aaahhh, puppy breath...

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!