[Dailydrool] Playing and non-playing bassets

MARY WILSON mewilson at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 16 17:02:03 PDT 2009

When it comes to toys, we seem to have a totally non-playing group. I struggled to teach Paddi and the late-lamented Billy to play tug-of-war with a rope. They would sort of do it half-heartedly for a few minutes and then stop with an air of relief. (They would sometimes tug the sides of an old wool hat that Paddi B found while she was out on a walk but that was dfiferent -- they really wanted the hat!) Neither Billy, nor Paddi, nor Vern has any interest in balls, stuffed anything... just no toys. I don't know about Billy or Vern's early life, but no matter what Paddi may tell you she has always been well treated and had things offered to her -- she's just not that into it. (We got her at 10 weeks from a very happy home -- a certified breeder.)

She has always been one to play with other dogs. Now she does have some fairly strong breed preferences! She loves bassets, of course, likes bloodhounds, beagles and coonhounds, tolerates retrievers (but she just can't figure out what the heck they're doing with the balls and sticks) and for some reason really likes poodles. She's also in love with the King Charles Spaniel next door, but that is serious, not play!

Vern's happy enough to play with her to an extent, though he does think that at 9 it may be beneath his dignity to do the basset 500 more than a couple of times a week.