[Dailydrool] Drools and Boomer on 'roids

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 16 16:28:10 PDT 2009

Well first and foremost Drool to all in need.  Every time I go to catch up on them there is another list to follow.  I think I need to get a few more bassets to make more drool (fiancé says not right now :( ).
As far as prolonged prednisone treatment for Boomer the main side effects are increased appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, panting, decrease in immune function and yes even Cushing's disease.  Prednisone is a steroid but is not like the steroids used by unsportsman-like athletes.  It is much less likely to cause alterations in mood.  In general it is a medication that should not be given to animals with endocrine disorders, diabetes, or systemic infections.  No NSAIDs (Deramaxx, Rimadyl, buffered aspirin, etc) should be given while treating with this medication.
Most common complaints are increased counter surfing and accidents in the house.  If he is on an every other day dosing it may reduce problems.  As far as treating for spinal cord problems it basically just keeps the inflammation in the cord down.   Depending on how long is “long” other things such as decreased muscle mass can be a problem.
Good Luck :)
Laura