[Dailydrool] Begging for Drool

Linda Dianis ldianis at comcast.net
Tue Jun 16 16:22:55 PDT 2009

Greetings, ahroos, and sympathies for those who have had loved ones
depart for the bridge.
I've been on DD leave for a month--too many things going on. But when
it hit the fan this week, I knew where to turn for help. We need drool
here.

Background: our foster, Winston, had surgery to remove lumps last
week. (He is recovering well, maybe someone will adopt him now,
without the huge ugly wart on his furrowed brow. Winston has been here
for months, and we love him--seniors really are super.)
Anyway, so I was paying close attention to Winston's healing
incisions, and did not notice Otis being a bit aloof for a couple
days. Sunday night DH commented that O's eyes looked "uneven" to him.
I did not really think so. But Monday AM I looked again. Maybe so. At
8am I called vet, and was in by 10:15. At 10:45 we were on our way to
the ER vet to get his eye pressures. At 11:30 I had a hurried phone
consult with our vet, who managed by some miracle to get the
ophthalmologist to agree to see Otis before his appts. I had to drive
across the state to get there. By the time I arrived, he was beginning
to whimper form the pain. And of course, fully carsick. Otis was
admitted at 2pm, spent 5 hours in ICU. His pressure in one eye was
very high, but the Vetman got them both way down in 2 hrs. However,
Otis still had no vision from his affected eye, even when he was
discharged last night.
We got home last night with 10 mins to spare to fill his (GodAwful
expensive!!) Rxs. I was up every few hours to get the next dose of the
right drops,etc. in to him. He would not even acknowledge Nelly and
Winston, who were worried. (When we say our dogs are worried, this is
TRANSFERENCE in psycholingo.)

This AM things were still no good, and he would not go off the porch
alone, even tho he obviously had to pee. But he may be a little better
this afternoon. There is a chance he will still have some vision in
his right eye, but I have been very upset about all this.
Otis is our heart dog, not even 5, and I feel for him, as I have
glaucoma too. Unfortunately, the prognosis for bassets is not nearly
so cheery as for people.
PLEASE send us drool. This next week will be important. We are very
distressed about poor Oat.
Linda