[Dailydrool] Walking in heat and shedding issues

Drew McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Jun 18 08:10:23 PDT 2009

<<Of course, the heat has come to Kansas and it has been in the 90s, but I
have taken her out before 9 in the morning when it is only in the 70s.
Despite this, twice this week, I have had to walk alone.>>

Our Jane has never been one to happily walk in temperatures over about 60
degrees F. She is a hunting dog, in her opinion (not that she's chased
anything but the cat), and hunting season weather never goes over that
temperature, she claims. I suspect she has many bassets who agree with her.
Summers are not happy walking times in the Dashing Basset household.

On the shedding issue someone brought up, this has been a horrible year for
us. I keep vacuuming, but the house always looks as if I'd never picked up a
vacuum hose. I suspect that it's mostly Abner's fur. I belive that this is
connected with his hypothyroid problem. He has thick, long fur with a very
dense undercoat. Since the weather has gone back and forth between cool and
hot, he seems to drop lots of fur constantly.

I am ready to hire a huge vacuum truck and let the whole house be swept up
into it. We usually have dust dinos, not dust bunnies, but this year the
dinos are propogating like those little wabbits.
Pam, furred under with the Dashing Bassets