[Dailydrool] Swamp Thang

Linda H dirtherm2 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 21 12:23:41 PDT 2009

Creature from the Black Lagoon, aka Dewey

This is my third, my husband's fourth basset. Never before have we had a basset who so loves to play in the swamp, and the swampy edges of ponds. Dewey has discovered the thrill of Frog Chasing! He also finds digging

The saga continues. I had to interrupt the note to let Dewey play with Chance, his boxer friend. Then, as usual, Dewey headed into the swamp to play and dig cattail roots. But, we heard a splash nearby, and all of us were on shore (except Dewey, of course). Had to be a deer. Oh no! I quickly slipped off my shoes and socks and waded into the swamp, hoping to grab Dewey before he caught the scent of the deer. Too late. Dewey gave voice, and was off! I ran as best as an asthmatic 55 year old woman can through snaggy swamp weeds, following the Call of the DeerHound! Into the woods, which, luckily, was mushy from a solid day of rain, I ran, splashing black muck all over my bare legs, hoping he would lead me through little poison ivy. Finally, Dewey stalled. I managed to grab him and leash him. Through more muck to the road we went. Was Dewey done? Heck no! So, we went for a walk to find more of his doggy friends to play with.

When we got home, Dewey got hosed off (he hates that!), and I quickly washed off my mucky legs and arms, hoping to get any poison ivy juices off me before they caused me to break out.

Life with Dewey.

Does anyone else have a swamp-loving hound?

Linda and Dewey, the "deer hound", aka Swamp Thang