[Dailydrool] Need advice on heart problem

Barbara Stacey barbara.stacey at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 27 06:31:39 PDT 2009

I don't post often, but need some advice. My Elmo who is almost four, was born with a heart murmur.We didn't worry about it as he was always energetic, we used to call  him wild man. A few days ago I noticed he just wasn't himself. He was letharagic and didn't want to play. He told me with his eyes that something was wrong.

Took him to the vet and he has quite an enlaraged heart and some congestion in his lungs. I don't know how to read an x-ray but even I could tell that his heart was huge. He has the beginnings of congestive heart failure.The vet put him on two heart meds; enanapril and vetmedin. The vemedin is supposed to be a very good med and I checked it out online. It is given to dogs with CHF and has been quite successful.

I would appreciate any commments and/or advice from anyone who has had similar problems with their houndies.Anything I should do to help him besides the meds?

Thanks so much.