[Dailydrool] Kidney failure in dogs

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Mon Jun 29 07:07:14 PDT 2009

Susan,
Sorry to hear about your chronic kidney failure dog.  This can mean that your dog will live many many happy years if you manage him well.  You might even be able to stave off the acute stage indefinitely if you diligently do the right things with his diet.  Good for your vet trying to solve an infection first.  Sometimes time is of the essence!  Even if the BUN and Creatinine return to normal, you should manage his protein intake and supplement his diet with a specific vitamin.  Standard Process Renal support. http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog.spi?ID=343

Right away you should buy and start feeding Standard Process Renal support Canine.  I can't say enough about this vitamin line!  Bubby was acute and lived WELL for 4 months with a daily regimen of SP vitamins (Renal support, Immune support, chlorophyll), tums, CoEnzymeQ10, and prescription dog food, along with daily SubQ fluid injections.  He liked most of the vitamins and I could just sprinkle them on the food.  The CoEnzyme may need to be camouflaged, and your dog most likely isn't ready for SubQ.

You have to buy the SP through a vet, chiropractor, or holistic doctor, or if you are lucky, a local health food store because they don't sell directly to the public.  They are well worth the price!  My vet didn't expect Bubby to live much more than a couple of weeks when he went acute, but when Bubby finally decided it was time to go, the vet couldn't believe how good Bubby looked.  He later said that it was the hardest euthanization he had ever done.

Good luck, write to me if you want additional support.  The things I wish I had known BEFORE Bubby became acute...

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!