[Dailydrool] Stiffness in 4-year-old

sally king sally.king at nqe.com
Mon Jun 29 08:52:17 PDT 2009

Does anyone's basset seem to get stiff after exercise?

Rolph started agility three weeks ago and much to my surprise he loves it. However, the day afterwards he is reluctant to walk very far (in fact refuses to come for his daily walks) and looks as though his legs are stiff.

Rolph is not yet 5 and usually goes for at least two walks a day - one long and one medium, total 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours. He gets daily supplements including glucosamine and chroditium

He has never had a paticularly free gait and when he was about 2 1/2 limped for a long time. The vet never really got to the bottom of it, despite Xrays, blood tests etc. I put it down to having come out of a poor rescue kennel aged 2 years 4 months, where he had little exercise, and then had lots of walks with me. Also the kennel was not heated and he spent a long cold winter in it with only another dog for warmth (I believe).

He is in the beginner agility class, so none of the equipment is particularly high and he is not going fast. This is a very professional training environment where they take the dogs' health very seriously, so I am confident he is not being asked to do anything damaging. He is also a good weight for his size.

He is not limping. He will run if there is a treat in the offing and doesn't seem to be in pain, he just seems stiff, maybe a bit achey. I don't want to stop taking him to agility as he clearly loves every moment, but at the same time I don't want to risk his health.

Could this just be stiff like I would be if I tried to ride  a bike, just because I would not be used to it?

Has anyone had experience with anything like this?

Sally with Rolph and Clara, UK