[Dailydrool] Basil

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 09:12:05 PDT 2009

Hi, everyone - I've had so many emails asking about Basil that I can't keep up! Basil has been home for about 2.5 weeks now, and is settling in well. He's nowhere near the 13 years the shelter had estimated; my vet thinks 7 or 8, tops. He's a tiny little guy, only 35 lbs. when I picked him up. He hasn't been weighed since, but I think (hope) that he's gained a few pounds. Even when he's up to fighting weight, he's not going to be anywhere near the size Waldo was. In spite of his (lack of) size, he has a huge, deep bark, which he doesn't hesitate to use on our neighbors' dogs when they're all out in the yards.

He loves to go for long walks, and since the weather has obliged by being above freezing for the last 10 days, we've been walking for more than an hour each evening when I get home from work. I had initially had him crated when I was at work, but he was so pathetic that I started leaving him out, and knock on wood the house is still standing. The one place I can't trust him is out in the yard alone - he has no interest in chewing furniture or electrical cords, thank doG, but will chew on anything he can find in the yard - bushes, twigs, grass, leaves. I don't think any of my plantings are toxic, but that doesn't mean they won't cause stomach issues.

He seems to like kids (Waldo did not, and there are a LOT of kids in my neighborhood, so we always had to be careful.) Actually the only person he's met who he didn't immediately walk to for petting is the mailman - he flinched away when the guy tried to pet him. The mailman was perfectly polite about it, not grabby or anything, so I wonder what Basil sensed about him.

I don't have any photos yet, much to the dismay of my far-flung family. He just won't sit still long enough for me to take any photos. I've tried to get a few while he's snoozing on the couch, but as soon as I stand up to get the camera he's up and at my feet. He's a velcro dog for sure.

Drool to all in need.

Esther, Basil, and Waldo ATB