[Dailydrool] Hemangiosarcoma

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Sat Mar 28 05:46:33 PDT 2009

Thanks to all for the drool! I've been trying to answer the emails, but if I've missed someone, I'm sorry and very grateful for the support.

Barney was snowed all day on a morphine drip and still sound asleep when I visited last night. I'll be going to visit him shortly to see how he is doing. I've been spending my time researching hemangiosarcoma and cancer diets and supplements.

This is the basic information out there on hemangiosarcoma:
Hemangiosarcoma in the canine spleen has an extremely poor prognosis. In a large series of dogs with splenic hemangiosarcoma (JUIM 1997; 11:166-171). The mean survival following splenectomy was only two months; however, a subpopulation of dogs with only a single lesion visible demonstrated better survival characteristics. Dogs with more than one splenic lesion experienced 100% mortality within eight months postoperatively, while those with single lesions experienced 84% mortality in the first twelve months postoperatively.

Barney had two lesions on his spleen, one the size of a softball that had obviously been oozing, one a bit smaller than a golf ball. He also has lymph nodes that are very large (golf ball size) and obviously involved but no liver or kidney lesions. We don't have the actually pathology report for him, obviously, but we would be shocked if it is something other than hemangiosarcoma. I will do what I can to help slow the progression and to make every day with him count. His acupuncture vet is working on a plan with herbals and supplements for us and he is getting regular Reiki treatments.

I just hope he recovers quickly from the surgery and can come home soon. (the original estimate was that he'll come home tomorrow)

The crew at home sends drool out to those who need it....
Synthia, still rubbing those bellies
Bud, Barney (is that another pink elephant?), Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl
Ace, Maya, Sage