[Dailydrool] Tyler escapes again! - hinge and latch options!!

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Mon Mar 2 09:46:30 PST 2009

No more excuses.. you tell hubby he wants to ever sleep in a regular bed
again.. he'll go out and get something like this...

http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_ViewProducts.asp?Cat=1417
<http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_ViewCatLevel3.asp?Cat=1040>

Its a spring loaded hinge, designed to cause the gate to close behind you.
While that one, I think, is for opening the gate one way only... I know for
a fact that there ARE self closing hinges that work *both* ways, as well as
there is an automatic latch that allows latching/locking from both ways as
well!!

Here's an industrial strength latch .. doubtful a basset could open..
http://www.hooverfence.com/catalog/hardware/Latches/unilatch.htm

so your gate swings closed, the latch bolt is spring loaded and clicks back
into the locked position behind the hubby, the nice neighbor coming to
borrow sugar, the rotten little kid next door that seems to always get his
ball or frisbe or something over the gate... ... uh.. ahem.. :)

This is the one that I've seen in action a "Butterfly Latch"
http://www.hooverfence.com/catalog/cpage62.htm

allows the standard gate to open either direction and latch closed behind
you.  word of caution though.. this type of latch could be "nosed" upward by
a smart hound!!

Child "proof" latches for pool type areas, might also make the issue
better!!
http://www.hooverfence.com/catalog/cpage32.htm

Lots of options.. just need to find them and choose what will work best for
you!!

-Robert

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Tyler escapes again!

Mistake two was not replacing the lock on the front gate.