[Dailydrool] Doctor Shopping and Bassets

Charlie Meyer charlie at droolassicpark.com
Mon Mar 2 19:05:43 PST 2009

I changed physicians from a big 'doc-in-a-box' a dozen miles away to a
young physician starting a new practice in my town. Very smart gal.  I
didn't get the 'M.D. = Me Doctor!' treatment or a pushover either. She
just has to be as good a doc as my Veterinarian, I told her.  She also
picked out that I wasn't a native (You can take the boy out of New
York, but not the New York out of the boy.). Accent? What accent? Or
was it my wiseassery?

When we let them put their mugs on billboards, it was 'open season' on
the ivory tower boys with fruit and veg well past their 'sell by'
date.  Just be a competent clinician and not treat me like a 'hunting
buddy.'  If my Juris Doctor can't explain him or herself to me, it's
time for a new attorney. Same for the  medical professional.  Don't be
afraid to be frank or let me be stupid without a warning. Don't see
the egg timer on its' last few grains and say 'read the monograph' on
one hand or lecture me like one of my girlfriend's 5 year old pupils
on the other.  A lot like my vet. That's a compliment. BTW.

I did tell the Madame Doctor that I wasn't only there because the
receptionist had a Basset Hound (but it helped!)

My girlfriend asked about how rescues got fosters.  I explained with a
few 'Shameless Suzanne' (Fitch) legends. My fave Rutgers Gal.
(Unfortunately, Rutgers was trailing UConn at the half on the TV.)

Saturday's 'date': a 500+ mi rescue run to get two droolers downstate
in the coal fields sleeping their first night in a long time inside on
their way to 'forever' homes. Wish us (2 & 4 leggers) well, s.v.p.

Charlie Meyer
West Virginia Coordinator
Basset Rescue of Old Dominion, Inc. (BROOD)
Droolassic Park
Keyser, WV

Basset Hound Rescue: Work With Women. Pick Up Dogs.