[Dailydrool] fetching and gates

Kate bassetlover99 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 07:42:47 PST 2009

Looks as though Feb. was a rough month on the drool. I saw something on
another site the other day that really touched me. If it's true, it makes
dying seem a little more pleasant. "I’ve heard that once you die every dog
you once knew or ever loved runs toward you to say 'hi.' That makes me
incredibly happy."

My boys fetch, but not at the same time. Boomer won't fetch if Baxter goes
after it, and Baxter always goes after it.

All of the talk of gates on the Drool made me thankful that mine's been
pretty secure. Until this morning. I was fixing the boys' breakfast while
they were outside doing their business. Then I heard the gate close (I never
heard it open). I walked outside, and there were no bassets in the yard! I
opened the gate to find Boomer sniffing at the tree at the end of the drive
and Baxter headed up the hill to visit the lady who always brings him
treats. Baxter came when called (thank goodness for training class), but I
had to pick Boomer up to bring him inside the fence. Then I couldn't get the
gate closed fast enough to keep them both in. It was probably rather comical
if you were watching from afar. Finally, they were coaxed inside by some
liver treats. Apparently, gran-mom forgot to lock the gate when she got back
from shopping yesterday. Close call!

Drool and ahroos to all in need.

Kate
Baxter (I listen to my mom)