[Dailydrool] Vent (long)

Isabel Cerchiaro icerchiaro at uol.com.br
Wed Mar 4 15:00:54 PST 2009

I had similar "Friends". These so called friends bought a basset for
the guy's mother who had recently widowed. The mother didn't like the
"present" and as they were returning to the kennel, knowing that I
wanted one, they offered this basset to us (me and my husband). It was
a 18 months old basset that had lived up to that time where he (I
can't refer to him as it, sorry) was born and was not really cared. He
was fed, got his shots, but that was all. Two months after we took him
in, he started vomiting. Of course, we were worried. Fortunately, it
turned out to be "just" gastritis. I called my friend and ask her to
contact the kennel to learn more about his previous life. How could a
puppy be stressed to the limit of developing gastritis? She answered
me asking if I wanted to return the dog!!! It turned out that he was a
lot sicker that that (we spend the first year going to the vet at
least once a month). Now, after 3 years, Bertrand is fine, healthy as
he can be. But I am sure that if we had returned him, he would be dead
by now.